Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Small Blessings - and some luck.

If I had been on a back road with Thelma or in the hills of Italy things may have turned out quite differently.  I am not a religious person, but I am a spiritual one and if you could all thank the 'Creator' you recognize in your life for having me at home, with my husband, when my esophagus ruptured, that would be wonderful.  Who even knew that could happen?  I don't remember anything about the time at home. 

I 'woke' up at Surrey Memorial Hospital on the evening of May 19th having been rerouted from Chilliwack and then Royal Columbian to the thoracic unit here in Surrey Memorial.  I remain at Surrey Memorial, making progress each day but with no hopes of going home just yet.

I cannot begin to tell you all (with tears flowing) how many people have been involved in keeping my journey here on earth just a little longer.  The nursing staff here is BEYOND anything you could imagine; challenging and supporting in just the right balance.  For me, this balance has been crucial. 

Someone takes my blood work every morning - I know there is a team behind this individual.  X-ray every day - another team. CAT scans regularly - a separate team.  The porters that run me back and forth are kind and gentle and again, work as a team.  Housekeeping, bedding, Medications, and others whose faces I have not seen but I know are working behind the scenes.  I count my guardian angels in the 100s, and that is just for me, in a hospital full of many.

These hospital times are made more challenging by not being able to have your family with you to support. you along the way but, if you know my family, you know they have overcome.  I feel their strength and love wrapped around me every minute of every day.  They are not in the building but their love is pulling me through.  I can't wait to hug you all!

I have no expected release date but am hoping for the next week or so.

Thank you all for your kind words of support- they really do mean EVERYTHING! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.  I am still not strong enough to get back to everyone so please don't be offended if you don't hear directly from me.

Missing you all and looking forward to coming home, but mostly I am counting my blessings!

6 comments:

  1. Thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery. So sorry to hear about this. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and strong healing thoughts for you. I know you - you are strong - I also know this is just a blip along your precious journey on this earth. I can’t wait to hear you are home again. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Roxanne!!! I noticed you hadn't been on much lately but this is scary!!! Glad to hear your are recovering without incident and hugs and prayers to you and your wonderful family!!!!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxanne, you are a powerful woman who can overcome most obstacles. Give yourself time to mend and be back to your beautiful self. I’m sure your family is having a hard time not being able to see you. Undoubtedly, you will be a great patient for that Hispital staff and they will happy for you when you go home but will miss your laughter and good spirits. Keep the blogs coming when you can but do put yourself first at a time like this. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The team at Coquihalla is pulling for you, Roxanne. We miss your fun and practical spirit, and all of us wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, when Deb and I came to your house on the Sunday after your surgery, I was quite taken aback by how tall your husband is!!

    ReplyDelete