Thursday, April 30, 2020

Learning to Learn - For Life


I started 2020 with a goal of 'making a lot of mistakes'.  I wanted to try new things while having some adventures along the way.  The early part of the year involved pottery lessons, an encaustic class, a journal retreat, a Coast Salish weaving class, Zentangle and macrame.  Alongside formal classes I was learning to play with these new skills at home.  Trust me, I made a LOT of mistakes.  I also learned a lot about how I learn.

  


I don't mind making mistakes.  Especially if I am in a group of people who are also making mistakes. I am considerably less patient when I am the slow learner!  Learning has always been fairly easy for me, especially when it involves things I am interested in.  With learning so many new things in a short time at the start of the year I was exposed to a lot of new skills.  I was honestly surprised at my impatience with myself if I felt like I was falling behind the rest of the class.  I was MOST frustrated when the instructor did not bail me out immediately!  When I had to sit and wait, while others moved on, I became incredibly impatient, sometimes to the point of agitation.  It was so good for me to learn to breathe, to be patient, to try to figure it out myself while I waited and to know that learning isn't always easy.  I practiced all of these stategies and, trust me, they took PRACTICE!  I have still not mastered these strategies but I am better and getting better all the time.

Then came Covid-19.  I had signed up for a photography class that focussed on architecture.  Two days in downtown Chilliwack that I was really looking forward to.  I also signed up for a long distance cycling condo that would have been my first large group ride.  I was most disappointed in this one as it was my 'motivator' and my 'big adventure' for the early part of this year.  My new road bike will just have to wait for its inaugural race.

No comments:

Post a Comment