Friday, March 10, 2023

2021 From the Rear View Mirror

While we will all remember the catastrophes and limits that surrounded us in 2021 we must also celebrate the moments that kept us sane.  Amidst forest fires, heat domes, atmospheric rivers and devastating floods all under the bigger umbrella of the ever-evolving Covid pandemic, there were moments of joy and normalcy.

On New Year's Day  2021 Bob and I headed to Cultus Lake Golf Club to hit a few balls.  The weather was mild for January and following our outing to the driving range golf became a winter sport.  I joined a ladies group at Sandpiper Golf Course and often golfed a couple of times a week right through to the summer golf season. Being outdoors and able to socialize as we walked the fairways was a gift during these Covid times. The line I remember from Bob, "I don't remember ever wearing a toque golfing before."  It was great!

   
When school went back in January we returned to our Mondays With Layla.  This too was a gift during long stretches of not being able to see our family in person.  Layla is a live wire.  Every Monday included a walk on the beach or a walk in the woods - it was always Layla's choice.  Her ability to be IN nature, to squat down and really see affected the way I saw the world as well.  It is always eye-opening to be with a child in nature and her enthusiasm and energy were always infectious.  I love the image below where the two streams converged on their way to the lake.  I would not have noticed this if Layla had not been bent down checking it out.  I wanted to see what she was seeing, and I am so grateful I did.
She knows how to play in nature as well as how to just sit and soak it up.  We learned from her to do the same.

 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment